/* */

June 30, 2008

Puran Poli


The only kind of poli I have had as a child, is the the stuffing with coconut and jaggery and was not a big fan of it, just coz it was kind of gooey. I liked the filling by itself, but not rolled as a poli.
When we moved to Belgaum, an ajji next door used to make the best poli I have ever had. She knew my love for these polis and would invite me home as she was making the polis on the tava. She would serve it on a plate with a dollop of ghee and cold milk. I still remember telling my mom that she has to learn making polis from ajji :)

Ingredients
All Purpose flour - 1.5 cups
Turmeric Powder - 1/8 tsp
Salt- 1/8 tsp
Water - to make a pliable dough
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup (powdered)
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Nutmeg- a very tiny pinch
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
  • Make the dough by mixing flour,salt and turmeric first. Slowly add water to make a soft dough. Drizzle oil over the dough and cover with saran wrap for an hour.
  • Cook the dal in a pressure cooker or in stock pot filled with water. If using a pressure cooker, takes about 4 to 5 whistles. If you are using a stock pot, bring water (about 2.5 cups)to a boil, add the dal and close it with a lid and let it simmer for about 45 minutes or until it is soft to the touch,but does not turn mushy,
  • Drain the water completely and let it cool. Grind the jaggery and dal to a fine paste. please do not add any water. If you think the filling is wet, saute in a pan to remove the moisture. Mix the filling with the nutmeg and cardamom powder.
  • Divide the filling to make about 14 to 15 balls. Do the same with your dough as well.
  • Roll the dough to the size of your palm, and place the filling inside the dough and cover on all sides.
  • Flatten and roll it, about 12 inches in diameter.
  • Place an iron skillet on the stove and once hot, cook the poli on both sides, drizzle some ghee and serve.

Bee has an excellent step by step guide on how to make these cuties. When Mythreyee and I were chatting, we spoke about love for sweets and we moved on to poli. I just could not resist myself and made them the very same day. I sent her a picture of the poli on gtalk and she said I have send this as an entry to her sweet series. So Mythreyee here you go, Polis just for you!

Labels: , ,