/* */

November 17, 2008

Thalipeeth




I have vague memories of having thalipeeth at home. My sis would come home after visiting her friends and try new recipes that she learnt from them..ah the joy of being the youngest. Thalipeeth was one of them. While I remembered the name distinctly, I had forgetten how it tasted.

The wonderful world of blogging refreshed my memory and I decided to make this at home and when it was a huge success, I decided to teach this in my class well. I looked at a few recipes and made my own. My inspiration came from Nupur's thalipeeth

Chickpea/Garbanzo flour- 1/2 cup
Rice flour- 1/2 cup
Whole-wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Semolina- 2 T
English Cucumber - 1 (grated)
Spinach- 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red onion - 2 T (finely chopped)
Serrano green chilliy - 1 (finely minced)
Cilantro - 2 T (finely chopped)
salt to taste
vegetable oil for cooking


Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl to make a soft pliable dough, adding water only if necessary ( The water content in the cucmber should be more than sufficient).
  • The dough will be sticky. I tried patting them on a plastic sheet and transferring to the griddle. But found the traditional far more convenient.
  • Take a golf ball sized ball of dough and start patting it to a round disc on the griddle.
  • Have a toothpick next to the griddle and immediately make three to four holes on the thalipeeth.
  • Drizzle with oil into the holes and around and cook for a minute and then turn and cook.
  • Cook until they are golden brown on both sides.
Everyone in my class, made their own thalipeeth and had it with thick yogurt. I might add grated carrots to it next time.

Labels: